Friday, August 16, 2013

MTC Drop-off

It is official! We have a missionary out in the field. We all had a great morning together. Michael and my dad woke up at 6:30 to study. Afterwards, they got to skype with Heather and Antioni. My mom woke up at 7:30 so she could spend as much time as possible with Michael. Marlin, Cante, and I didn't wake up until 10. We all got ready and then got to skype with Eric and Erin before we left. I know Michael appreciated seeing them. Afterwards, we all went and ate at Chuck-a-rama. During lunch, Michael said he was getting pretty nervous about going in. We tried to comfort him by telling him that everyone else was going to be nervous too and that he would be a great missionary. When we got done eating, we got in the car and drove over to the MTC. We drove around a little bit because we were there a little early. Then we drove to a parking lot and all got out to give hugs and say good-bye. When we pulled up to the MTC, there were a lot of missionaries waiting on the curb to greet the newbees. We pulled up and there was a really nice Missionary who welcomed Michael and asked where he was going. I was video-taping the whole thing. My mom and dad got his luggage out for him and gave him one last hug good-bye. It was really sad to see him walk away, knowing that we wouldn't see him for two whole years. When we drove off, my mom sobbed for about 2 minutes and then she was okay. Marlin and I cried too. My dad kept reminding us that he was in good hands.
I'm really proud of Michael for making the decision to go on a mission. I know that there is no better place for him to be. I never really understood what a sacrifice it is to go on a mission until my experience with Michael. Not only is it a sacrifice for the missionary, but for his/her family too. We are really going to miss Michael but I am so excited for the experiences that he will have as a missionary. I look forward to recieving letters from him and sending him letters as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment