Sunday, May 13, 2012

Happy Mother's Day

Today was my first Mother's day :) We all slept in until about 10 this morning, quickly got ready and arrived at church just a few minutes late. At the end of sacrament, all of the mothers got some flowers. All the mothers also got to attend Relief Society which was really nice. I love going to Young Womens but I also miss Relief Society. There is a special spirit there. After church, Marlin took a nap and I got to play with Cante. She even let me read like 20 books to her. She likes reading, but likes turning the pages even more. So when I do try and read to her, she  just turns the pages as fast as she can and then wants to move on to the next book. I think she was just tired and thats why she let me turn the pages and actually read to her this time. Afterwards, she went down for a nap. Then Marlin and I started cooking. I made the salad and Marlin make the hot dogs. We had hot dogs rolled in bacon. Then for the toppings we put barbeque sauce, shredded cheese, and green onions. It turned out really good. I also got to talk to my parents on the phone and skype with Heather and Antioni. Heather just announced that she was pregnant today. She told us a couple of months ago (On April 1st) but she told the "facebook world," today. lol.
I have absolutely loved being a mother. There is really nothing like it. Yes, it is crazy and exauhsting sometimes but it is amazing how much joy a child can bring into your life. It is almost indescribable. Cante has a beautiful spirit. She is amiable, adventurous, loveable, and independent. She is full of energy and excited about life. I cannot imagine life without her. She has brought me so much happiness and reminded me of my purpose here on earth.
Being a teacher has helped me understand and realize the importance of being a good mother. It's really sad to see students who struggle socially and academically because they lack parent support. I can put a lot of effort and energy into helping students become successful, but it seems that at the end of the day nothing will change if their parents don't. As I have thought about this, I have come to realize that the best thing I can do to help society is to be a good parent. I love the quote, "No success can compensate for failure in the home." I often think about that. It reminds me how important my role is as a mother. I am so grateful for the responsibility I have been given to be a mother. It is really exciting to see Cante learn and grow. I can't wait to teach her how to read, dance, pray, share, etc. I can't wait to share my testimony with her and teach her about the gospel. That is what life is all about.
I am grateful for the examples I have had in my life. My mom has had a large influence on me and been a great role-model. She has taught me many valuable things. I love spending time with and talking to her. She is always so positive and encouraging. I am also grateful for my grandmothers, Grace Goedel and Rosa Woods. I am grateful for the sacrifices they made for my parents and the things that they taught them. Their positive influences will have an effect on many generations.

I heard a poem in sacrament meeting today and thought it was a perfect summary of motherhood.

Dear Lord, It's such a hectic day,
With little time to stop and pray,
For Life's been anything but calm,
Since You called me to be a Mom,
Running errands, matching socks,
Building dreams with matching blocks,
Cooking, cleaning, finding shoes,
And other stuff that children lose,
Fitting lids on bottled bugs,
Wiping tears and giving hugs,
A stack of last week's mail to read,
So where's the quiet time I need?
Yet, when I steal a moment, Lord,
Just at the sink or ironing board,
To ask the blessings of Your grace,
I see them, in my small one's face,
That you have blessed me
All the while --
And I stoop to kiss
That precious smile.

-----Author Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment