Saturday, February 4, 2012

Cante's first month

  

Cante had jaundice when she was born. Her level when we took her home from the hospital was at about an 18. So we had to take her to the lab everyday to get blood drawn. The first time we took her, she didn't even cry! She just stared at Marlin like nothing was even happening. However, all the times after that, she cried. It was so hard to watch the nurse prick her cute little heel. Heather came with us once and cried when she saw Cante crying. We had to get a bed with lights for her to lay in everyday. She did pretty good at lying on the bed. It didn't seem to bother her. We also got a wand to use when we were holding her. After about 7 days, her level went below a 10 and we got the okay to stop with the testing and the lights. I was so glad when that was over. In her pictures, you can see the yellow in her skin and especially her eyes.



We got home from the hospital on Saturday morning and my parents came to visit on Sunday night. They were so excited to meet Cante!! My dad pulled out his camera right away and started snapping hundreds of pictures. My dad and Michael stayed with Heather and Antioni that night and my mom stayed with us. I had a rough night that night. First of all I was exhausted from giving birth, taking care of the baby, lack of sleep, visiting with people, etc. Then I was in pain from the delivery and breastfeeding. So that night, I was trying to feed Cante and she would NOT latch on! She was really hungry and was screaming. I was crying from being overwhelmed, frustrated, discouraged..etc. So that night, we decided to give her a bottle of formula. She took it right away. The next day I tried feeding her again and we had the same problem. I talked to my sister Erin and she suggested that I get a pump. So my mom and Heather went to the store to buy me one. It was so nice and easy to pump in comparison to breastfeeding. At that point, I decided that I would just give cante formula and then pump as much as I could. However, a couple days later after my body had healed, I decided to try breastfeeding again. I didn't think that Cante would latch on..but she did! I was so happy. Things went MUCh better the 2nd time around. I have still been giving her one or two bottles of formula a day. When I go back to work, Marlin will give her formula in the day and I will breastfeed her at night. I actually enjoy breastfeeding now. I feel like its a good bonding moment for Cante and I :)
The first couple weeks of Cante's life, we mostly just stayed at home and rested. It was nice to just relax and enjoy our baby girl :) Marlin took a few days off too so it was really nice to be at home with our little family. It took me a while to start getting ready again. I mostly just lounged around in sweats..didn't really do my hair or make-up. You can see in the pictures..lol.

 


We found out very early that Cante looooves to be held. So every night, we swaddled her. She looked so cute in her little swaddle!
                    


One of our first outings was to Iggys to watch the draft!   




Crystal and Spencer came over to visit a few times. We had a good time hanging out with them and Hina. It was nice to have support from Crystal because she could relate to what I was going through since she had just had Hina a year ago.



We also went to visit Grandpa Goedel and Jill in Perry. They were really happy to see the baby! They made lunch for us :) Grandpa, Michael, and my Dad decided to pull out all their instruments and play together like they were a band. Cante and I took a little nap in the meantime.


Mom cooked Pork Chops for us one night. We ate at Heather and Antioni's house. Crystal, Spencer, Eric, and Erica came over too. We played a game where you have to hum a song, and everyone has to guess what it is. We had a good time.


  


Aunt Jean and Chris came up to Utah for the 4th of July weekend. Aunt Jean loooved holding Cante. She paid for me to get a manicure and pedicure at the mall. Then we went to the Freedom Days in Provo. We all sat around at the fair and just ate and talked. Marlin's parents got in that night. So we went to go visit them afterwards.

The next day was July 3rd, which was our 2 year Anniversarry! It was also the day that we decided to bless Cante. Our close friends and family were all there to hear the blessing. My mom and Dad, Marlin's mom and dad, Heather and Antioni, Marei and Leatha with their kids, Rana Sioux, Jean and Chris, Crystal and Spencer, Eric and Erica, Aunt Sherrie, Laura Locklear, Auntie Maioha, Little Maioha and Hoera. It was so nice to have them all there. Marlin gave Cante a beautiful blessing :) Afterwards, we had a barbeque at Heather's apartment complex. We had so much food! A few more people came to the barbeque than the blessing. Aunt Diane and Alice came and so did Becky and Whitney Lucas.

We also took cante to Sione and Courtney's wedding. By that time, Cante was about 3 weeks old. The wedding was so much fun. We enjoyed meeting Marlin's family members, eating food, and being entertained. My parents also joined us for the occassion and Michael and my Dad actually performed at the wedding. Everyone looooved it! Our family members each took turns holding Cante. It was nice to get a break and know that she was well taken care of.

It was so nice and helpful to have my mom and dad stay with us for three weeks! We really enjoyed having them. After they left, Heather and Antioni came over quite often to help before their move to Georgia. They would just hold the baby so I could get a break...get ready..clean..etc. It was soo nice and helpful. Cante had a wonderful first month. She is such a beautiful little girl. She has been such a blessing in our lives. I love her sweet little spirit. I am thankful for the opportunity I have raise her and teach her of her great value and worth. We are just thrilled to have her in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment